The Children's International Learning Centre is a not-for-profit organization supported by grants, donations, admissions, membership fees, fundraising and volunteers.
History of the Children's International Learning Centre
25th anniversary of the United Nations
The CILC was established in Hamilton, in October 1970, to help celebrate the 25th anniversary of the United Nations. The CILC, housed in a single room and requiring untold volunteer hours to set up temporary displays in schools and libraries, dreamed of acquiring artifacts from every continent.
In January 1972, the CILC received the official approval of the Director of Education for Hamilton Public Schools for classes to visit. For many years, school classes and community groups visited the CILC in a permanent space at the MacNab St. YWCA. By 1990, the Children's International Learning Centre, had grown to be a free-standing not-for-profit organization with its own Board of Directors and was working from its own suite at 100 James St. S., using artifacts from over 92 countries, to produce interactive educational programming for all ages.
The Children's International Learning Centre continues to grow and develop great hands-on programming. We are able to do this at our home at 189 King William St. We even have a green space in the urban downtown core!
- 1970 - CILC began as an Information Centre on Children's Cultures
- 1972 - Official approval of the Director of Education for Hamilton Public Schools for classes to visit the Centre in the YWCA
- 1988 - Incorporated as The Children's International Learning Centre (Hamilton) and granted a charity registration number
- 1990 - Opened location at 100 James St. South, Hamilton from 1990 - 2000 (leased)
- 2001 to present - Operating continuously at 189 King William St, Hamilton.
Board of Directors
The CILC has a Board of Directors, with a maximum of 15 members, which meets regularly. As part of their role on the Board, which uses a governance model, members are expected to serve on one or more CILC committees.
Meet the Team
Current Board Members
Mr. Kevin McNally
Ms. Aha Blume
Director of Programmes
Ms. Chelsea MacDonald
Ms. Olwyn Moxley
Ms. Janet Liu
Ms. Eleanor Chithalen
Ms. Justine Dennis
Mr. Eric Noue
Mr. Keith Doyle
Mr. Chris Parkinson
Ms. Isabella Marchese
Mr. Jim Watts